Membership in ASLA offers benefits at both the state and national level. With your support, we will continue to work toward our goals of advocating for our profession and increasing public awareness of the importance of the services we provide as landscape architects. Our chapter membership has grown steadily over the last few years at a time when many chapters have seen a decline. This reflects the dedication of our members and I encourage all of you to continue doing great things to promote our profession. We thank you for your support and look forward to your continued involvement with ASLA.
Shannon Blakeman, PLA, ASLA
So what does ASLA do for its members and the profession?
- Advocacy – ASLA works to ensure that the landscape architecture profession is at the forefront of local, state, and federal policymakers. ASLA supports and defends state licensure and will continue to work to do so. Our advocacy on a state level has helped to ensure that landscape architects are included on public projects and our right to practice all aspects of our profession is protected. With the ASLA Advocacy Network, members can quickly and effectively communicate with policymakers about issues important to the profession. The Advocacy Network system allows our organization to sound the alarm on issues affecting our profession that may otherwise go unnoticed. By working together, landscape architecture professionals can leverage their numbers and expertise to positively impact public policy that directly affects landscape architects livelihoods.
- Public Awareness – ASLA’s Public Relations and Communications department is dedicated to advancing awareness and appreciation of the profession. Reaching millions of people each year, these efforts strengthen the profession and, in turn, your career. The Louisiana Chapter is working to raise public awareness of the profession and our capabilities on a state a local level. The LCASLA Executive Committee has taken this on as one of our major goals over the next year.
- Professional Development and Continuing Education – Each year the Louisiana chapter works to improve our annual state meeting. We strive to bring you relevant, topical subjects and look to bring in professionals with a wide range of experiences. With the inclusion of the continuing education requirements for licensure in the state, we feel it is important to provide quality programs that can help to keep our profession evolving and at the forefront of current market trends. Our chapter also offers opportunities to pick up CEU credits throughout the year with Lunch & Learn sessions and other presentations. For our emerging professionals, we offer LARE review sessions as well.
- Landscape Architecture Magazine – Members consistently rank the award-winning Landscape Architecture magazine as one of the top benefits of membership. The publication helps readers stay on top of the profession with the latest news, trends, resources, and developments in design, technology, planning, and ecology.
- Additional Benefits – In addition to the benefits above, membership also offers substantial discounts on:
- Registration fees for State and National Annual meetings
- Professional Awards entry fees
- Professional resources such as publications, contract documents, etc.
- Insurance (Life, Health, Dental, Professional) and Car rentals
For a complete listing of membership benefits, visit ASLA’s website.